Councillor Sylvia Lindgren
Sylvia grew up in mining towns across the country and after finishing university, taking a VW trip to Mexico and a spending a year in Australia, met and married Quinton in Kelowna. They moved their young family to Salmon Arm in 1994 where their youngest son was born. Sylvia spent the next decade raising three children, working part time, and running a family daycare. Once the kids were in school she started working in various positions around Salmon Arm including the mental health field, Senior's care, and education. In 2008 she settled into a career as an education assistant with School District 83 where she is still employed.
As a union member with the School District, Sylvia took on various roles, eventually being elected president of the local in 2014. This role has afforded a variety of experiences including human resources education, political education, travel for workshops and conferences, and committee work in a variety of areas. This experience has given Sylvia exposure to a wide variety of political and social experiences and have helped to develop her view of the world and the work we do in it, including a run for MLA in 2017.
As a resident of Salmon Arm Sylvia feels blessed to have had opportunities for success and a rich social and educational life. She hopes that as a city councillor she will be able to give back to the community that has welcomed her and her family.
- Environmental Advisory Committee
- Deputy Mayor – July 1, 2022 to November 7, 2022
- Development and Planning Services Committee
- Okanagan College Regional Advisory Committee
- Okanagan Regional Library Board (Alternate)
- Salmon Arm Bay Nature Enhancement Society (SABNES)
- Shuswap Fall Fair Liaison
- Transportation Parcel Tax Court of Revision
- Water / Sewer Frontage Tax Court of Revision