Mayor Alan Harrison
Alan is a longtime resident of the community, having graduated from Salmon Arm Senior Secondary in 1977. He attended both Okanagan University College and UBC, graduating with bachelor's and master's degrees in education.
Alan's teaching career began in Tumbler Ridge in 1983 where, at a young age, he was elected to the Tumbler Ridge Council as a Councillor from 1985 to 1987.
Alan returned to Salmon Arm in 1988 and was elected as a Councillor from 1990 to 1996. He was re-elected in 2005 and served as Councillor through 2018. Alan retired in January after 29 year career as a school principal. This is his first term as Mayor.
While embarking on a political life and career, Alan also found time to marry his wife Debbie and raise three boys - Ryan, Mark and David. Alan has an avid interest in all sports and particularly enjoys hockey and baseball. His other interests include cooking, hiking, running, fishing and camping. Alan's previous political experience, teaching background, diplomacy and sense of humour certainly add to his value on City Council.
- Active Transportation Task Force
- Development and Planning Services Committee
- First Nations Partnership
- Kelowna Airport Committee
- RCMP Liaison
- Salmon Arm Fire Department Liaison
- SEP Executive Committee Liaison (CSRD Bylaw 5690)
- Shuswap Community Foundation
- Shuswap Regional Airport Commission
- Shuswap Regional Airport (Salmon Arm) Committee
- Transportation Parcel Tax Court of Revision
- Water / Sewer Frontage Tax Court of Revision