Council members were given a tour of the new Smart Centres development and the Walmart building site today. It is very busy on the site with 70 to 80 people working there every day not including the highway road work. There is a totally separate crew working for Dawson Construction doing all the work on the TCH. As with any construction site, safety is of the upmost importance, therefore Council was issued hard hats and safety vests to wear during the tour.
Brent Savard, representative for Smart Centres explained the overall plans for the site. Interesting information includes, the following:
- Paving on site will begin August 26;
- They are completing a clear span bridge over Hobbs Creek;
- Council walked on the hiking trail that surrounds the entire site;
- Road work on the north side of the TCH, including pavement is scheduled for completion by mid-September;
- Road work on the south side of the TCH is scheduled for completion in early October;
- The contractor expects to hand over the keys to the building to the retailer near the end of September. Once the retailer has the keys they will start setting up the store for opening in November. Apparently they will have people working around the clock, 7 days a week, for 6 weeks to get it ready for the opening. Happy Christmas Shopping! and
- Two new stores will begin construction in the near future with openings expect next spring.
Brent Savard from Smart Centres gives us a tour.
Preparing for paving.