- Emergency Services
- Fire Protection and Suppression Services
- Volunteer Firefighter Information
Volunteer Firefighter Information
Member Application Information
Welcome to the City of Salmon Arm Fire Department paid-on-call (volunteer) firefighter recruitment and selection process. This page provides an outline of the recruitment and selection process as well as outlining the duties and responsibilities of the position of a paid-on-call (volunteer) firefighter. The City of Salmon Arm is an equal opportunity employer (EOE), however, the city maintains a policy that precludes spouses or significant others from working within the same department of the municipality.
Vacancies are filled by qualified candidates selected and appointed on the basis of education (grade 12 or equivalent preferred), experience knowledge, ability and suitability. Preferred candidates are expected to be employed full-time, be over 18 years of age, reside in Salmon Arm and have a valid BC driver's license.
The Fire Department recruitment and selection process follows an equal opportunity policy through each of its four stages. In this way, the Fire Department finds and selects the best qualified candidates to fill the firefighting ranks. All enquiries regarding the recruitment / application process should be made to:
Fire Chief Brad Shirley
City of Salmon Arm Fire Department
141 Ross Street NE
P.O. Box 40
Salmon Arm BC V1E 2E9
Recruitment and Selection Procedure
- Stage 1 – Application
- Stage 2 – Screening and Personal Interviews
- Stage 3 – Job-Related Fitness Training
- Stage 4 – Completion of Recruit Training Program and Probationary Period
Stage 1 - Application
The minimum candidate standards for application are:
- Minimum age of 18 years coupled with good physical condition
- Have and maintain a valid BC driver's license with an acceptable driving record
- Be employed full-time
- Must reside in Salmon Arm
The application package includes:
- Employment application for paid-on-call volunteer firefighter
- Consent for disclosure of criminal record information (2 pages); must be taken to local RCMP detachment by applicant
- Physical Fitness Medical Release.
- Applicant must attach driver's license abstract from Service BC
The application will not be deemed to be complete unless all four elements are returned to the Fire Department Administration Office completed in full.
Other forms to be completed once successful in the interview process:
- Semi-Annual Direct Deposit Authorization
- Semi-Annual Income Tax Deduction
- Hepatitis B Vaccine Program
Stage 2 - Screening and Personal Interviews
At this stage, the Fire Department will check references provided on the application forms and confirm criminal record search with the R.C.M.P. Security check and reference check will be kept strictly confidential for use by the Fire Department. Candidates successful after that process will be invited for a short interview and have an opportunity to discuss any questions they may have relating to the Fire Department.
Stage 3 - Job-Related Fitness Testing
Job-related fitness testing will be conducted at one of the fire halls as determined by the fire chief. The fitness test consists of the following:
- Run two kilometers within 14 minutes (four times around Fletcher Park)
- From a complete extended arm position, palms away, pull the body upward to chin a horizontal bar, a total of four consecutive times
- On a beam measuring 50 feet long by six inches wide, carry a length of fire hose weighing at least 20 pounds and walk the length of the beam carrying the length of hose without falling off or stepping off the beam
- Given a weight of 96 pounds, lift the weight from the floor and carry the weight 100 feet without stopping (two foam buckets)
- Starting from an erect position with the feet apart approximately shoulder width, move a 15 pound weight in the following manner: bend over, grasp the weight with both hands while it is at a point on the floor between the feet and lift the weight to waist level, then place the weight on the floor approximately 12 inches outside the left foot and without letting go, raise the weight to waist level and touch it to the floor about 12 inches outside the right foot, repeat this move 14 times in less than 35 seconds
- Climb a fully extended aerial ladder to the top and return to ground level wearing full turnout gear and self-contained breathing apparatus (air supply not hooked up)
- Wearing a helmet, duty coat, gloves and self-contained breathing apparatus, including face piece, air supply hooked up and with the breathing apparatus face piece obscured, walk through a simple maze
Note: Candidates will be given the opportunity to familiarize themselves with all fitness testing exercises before being tested.
Stage 4 - Completion of Recruit Training and Probation
As soon as is practical upon meeting the other requirements, the candidate will be enrolled in the Salmon Arm Fire Department Recruitment Training Program. This program consists of approximately 120 hours of training. A candidate must successfully complete the Recruitment Training Program including the practical and written evaluations throughout and at the end of the training program. After the firefighter has successfully completed the Recruit Training Program a 3 month probation period must be completed. At any time in the process, actions of the candidate which are in contravention of Fire Department policy and standing orders may result in dismissal at the discretion of the fire chief.