The Building Inspection Division provides the public and the building industry with information about building construction requirements. They ensure that buildings conform to the requirements of the BC Building Code and the City’s building, zoning, servicing and development cost charge bylaws.
A City issued building permit is required for new construction and alterations and additions to buildings and structures used for residential, commercial, institutional and industrial uses. A building permit may be required for building and structures used for agriculture.
Applications and Guides
- Application and Guide for Building Permits (PDF)
- Application and Guide for Chimney-Solid Fuel Burning Appliance (PDF)
- Application and Guide for Demolition Permit (PDF)
- Application and Guide for Sign Permit (PDF)
The following are the most common bylaws for building:
- The Building Bylaw (PDF) administers the BC Building Code for the health, safety and protection of persons and property to regulate the construction, alteration, repair or demolition of buildings and structures.
- The Zoning Bylaw (PDF) regulates the development and use of land, as well as the location and use of buildings and other structures.
- The Subdivision and Development Servicing Bylaw (PDF) regulates the subdivision and development of land and establishes servicing standards.
- The Development Cost Charge Bylaw (PDF) imposes charges to the developer as a condition of approval for subdivision or a building permit. The charges are collected and used towards the capital costs of municipal infrastructure projects identified in the bylaw.
- The Sign Bylaw (PDF) is a City bylaw that regulates the number, size, type, form appearance and location of signs.
Major Construction Projects
These reports describe, for each month and year, the residential building permits issued with a value greater than $50,000 and the non-residential building permits (commercial, industrial, institutional) issued with a value greater than $250,000.
These reports describe the type and value of building permits issued for each month and year.