Planning - Long Range & Projects
The Planning Division provides professional advice to
Applications and Guides
Official Community Plan
The Official Community Plan (PDF) is a City bylaw that provides objectives and policies to guide decisions on the long term planning and land use management in the City.
Long Range Planning
Involves the following plans and projects:
- Agricultural Area Plan and Agricultural Land Reserve
- Community Energy and Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Greenways Strategy
- Heritage Strategy
- Official Community Plan Review
- Zoning Bylaw Review
Agricultural Area Plan and Agricultural Land Reserve
The Agricultural Area Plan (PDF) was completed in 2004. The plan provides information about agriculture in the City as well as agricultural issues, including recommendations for addressing those issues.
The Provincial Agricultural Land Commission regulates land use and subdivision in the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR) for the benefit of existing and potential agriculture. The Agricultural Land Commission Act and Agricultural Land Reserve Subdivision & Procedure Regulation regulate exclusion, land use and subdivision in the ALR.
Community Energy and Greenhouse Gas Emissions
In 2008 the City signed the BC Climate Action Charter committing it to become carbon neutral in its operations by 2012.
- Climate Action Progress Reports provide an overview of the City initiatives towards carbon neutrality.
- Corporate Energy and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Study examines energy consumption and subsequent greenhouse gas emissions produced by the City’s facilities and
fleet,and includes initiatives for the City to reduce its corporate emissions.
The Heritage Strategy (PDF) includes the following strategies:
- Establish the City’s role in heritage conservation
- Identify the City’s heritage resources
- Preserve and protect heritage resources
- Promote public awareness of heritage
- Integrate heritage resources into economic development and heritage programs
- Establish a greenway program to link and interpret key historical and cultural assets
an HistoricRoad Names Program
- Strengthen the downtown
- Enhance R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum
The Community Heritage Register (PDF) documents the significance of historic sites that have heritage value and character. A statement of significance has been created for each site. Council appoints members of the Community Heritage Commission to provide advice on heritage conservation and preservation matters within the community. This Guide to the Heritage Register (PDF) provides information about the Register and additional information for property owners.
The Greenways Strategy, Weave It Green, provides direction for the long-term planning and implementation of a trail and path network in the City. Council appoints members of the Greenways Liaison Committee to provide advice about greenways.
Official Community Plan Review
The most recent Official Community Plan Review occurred from 2009 to 2011. The new updated Official Community Plan (PDF) is Bylaw No. 4000 and was adopted in November 2011. The next comprehensive review of the Official Community Plan will occur sometime between 2016 and 2021.
Stream and Wetland Mapping
In 2012, Sensitive Habitat Inventory and Mapping (SHIM) and Wetland Inventory and Mapping (WIM)